As I was reading Skemp's article, I felt genuinely inspired. When he contrasted instrumental and relational understanding, it was like he was describing my own experience as a student. In class, professors often just introduced a formula with a typical example, which made it seem perfectly fitted. But when I later worked on assignments and quizzes, I often ran into "surprises" where the formula did not quite apply. At that point I had to practice many similar but slightly different problems, and by comparing them I would slowly discover new patterns. That is why Skemp's " 20 cms by 15 yards" example struck me. He mentioned about instrumental understanding involving "a multiplicity of rules rather than fewer principles of more general application" also helped me realize why math education often relies so much on endless practice, because no single example or formula can really cover it all.
Finally, I agree with Skemp's call for relational understanding. For me, math makes more sense when I can connect rules with reasons, see how topics fit together, and try methods on new problems. His article made me think about my own experiences and also about my future as a teacher. If I only pass on rules without reasons, I might help students get through exams, but I will not give them the confidence, flexibility, or joy that comes from really understanding math.
This is a warm and thoughtful response. I liked how you connected Skemp’s analogies to your own learning — especially the music one, which you used really effectively to capture the “rules without reasons” problem. Your closing reflection about what this means for you as a teacher shows good forward thinking. To push it further, you might ask: what gets in the way of teaching relationally, and how might you tackle that? That kind of questioning would deepen an already strong reflection.
ReplyDelete