My favourite math teacher was my high school calculus teacher. He also graduated from the education program at UBC, and he was one of the reasons I decided to come here.
I liked his class simply because I always wanted to challenge him. Even when my ideas were not full developed, I would raise my hand, walk up to the board, and think through the next step while writing out the solution. He often gave us very difficult calculus problems with multiple layers of integrals that included functions like sine cosine, exponentials, and inverse trigonometric functions. These problems made me want to try and he made me feel like I could beat him, like I could solve these problems faster than he could. At the time I really believed this, until graduation day when he showed us his UBC transcript filled with A's, can't find a single B on that paper. Now, as I study Education myself, I realize how hard and special it is when a teacher can make students feel smarter than him.
In class, he often shared stories from his university days. One line that stayed with me was: "When you are in university, don't always eat lunch with the same group of people." He explained that the campus was full of people from different backgrounds, and by hearing their stories, you could open up your perspective.
Wednesday, September 17, 2025
Favourite and least favourite math teachers
To be honest, I never really had a math teacher I disliked, because I truly love math. But some teachers were more inflexible. They didn't care if you had a clever idea or a different way of solving a problem. They just gave you one set method, the quickest way to solve the answer. Day after day we repeated the same kinds of problems, and it felt like there was no interest or motivation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Unit Plan
Your name: Helin Wang School, grade & course: Eric Hamber, Math 8 Topic of unit (NOTE: This should be a unit you will actually be te...
-
I found it interesting that debates about how math should be taught in North America have been repeating for over a century. The constant sh...
-
My favourite math teacher was my high school calculus teacher. He also graduated from the education program at UBC, and he was one of the re...
-
As I was reading Eisner's article, I was struck by his discussion of the explicit, implicit, and null curriculum. The first thing that c...
Helin, I really enjoyed reading how you described your calculus teacher — especially the way he inspired you to challenge him and made you feel capable of tackling really complex problems. That insight about how special it is for a teacher to make students feel smarter than them shows real depth. I also like how you noticed the difference between flexible, engaging teachers and those who only allowed one method — it’s clear you value creativity and motivation in learning, and that awareness will really shape your own practice.
ReplyDelete