In this group project, I really learned a lot. It showed me how many math concepts can actually be found inside these artworks. Even though our group only picked one project that we were most interested in, and we didn't get the chance to try others, I already saw how much potential there is in bringing these kinds of hands-on activities into a math class. This feels very different from just teaching math concepts directly or giving students word problems that don't connect to their lives. When students actually try to make something, the clear steps help them see those math concepts in a more direct way. They also get space to be creative and discover math through their own ideas.
But this requires teachers to try these activities first and think from the student's point of view. The projects should keep students curious but not be so hard that they lose confidence or spend too much time stuck on it. Just like in our group project, it's only after we try different art projects, understand the ideas behind them, and connect them to the BC curriculum that we can design activities that work for students and get them involved in learning.
I really enjoyed this activity. My favourite part was when everyone finished their own small piece and signed their names on it. At the end, when all of our pieces and names were connected together to form a larger artwork, I really felt a strong sense of connection with the whole class.
Very nice, Helin.
ReplyDelete