Tuesday, November 18, 2025

Response to Promoting Flow

Watching this talk made me realize that I’ve actually felt “flow” many times, especially when I’m working on math or planning lessons. It usually happens when the challenge matches what I can handle, neither too easy nor too overwhelming, and I just naturally sink into work without noticing time. 

I do think students can feel this in secondary math classes, but it depends on the environment. When the task is reachable, interesting, and they’re given enough time to think, students really can get absorbed. We can’t force flow, but we can make it easier for them to get there by giving space, choosing the right tasks, and letting them feel confident in their thinking. 

This talk made me think about how I design lessons, and how I might create moments where students can genuinely enjoy the thinking progress

1 comment:

  1. I really like that you mentioned that you cannot force flow, but create conditions to help students reach it more readily. Do you think flow is the goal in many classrooms?

    ReplyDelete

Unit Plan

Your name:   Helin Wang  School, grade & course:  Eric Hamber, Math 8 Topic of unit (NOTE: This should be a unit you will actually be te...